Sunday, November 1, 2020

A is for Abstract

 #PostcardsfromthePandemic


November 1,
2020

Daylight savings time ended this morning at 2 am throwing my body into a mild state of confusion. V has a new grandson. P is traveling to await her granddaughter. The sun is shining. All is good. An excellent way to begin yet another round of #art every day month. I think this is my 12th year. I keep doing this because every year proves to be interesting and worth the effort. And every year is different. None more so than this one.

In this seventh month of the pandemic, making art everyday is more my norm than the exception. Beginning in the spring, I began painting floral scenes onto postcard size watercolor paper and sending them to friends and family. It felt like a needed sense of connection - both in creating the art with someone in mind, and in sending to them and sharing their pleasure in getting something in the mail that is not a bill or a political ad. It also gave me something to do, structure to my day, and a reason to go outside with my camera. The Oregon spring was abundant with flowers. As the season turned to summer, my flower pictures went from abstract one line drawings, to highly complex almost botanical. I loved the project, I loved what I learned by repeating something three dozen times and letting it evolve. I love the results.

Then I got tired of flowers - and I'm looking for something new that will engage my attention and help me get through the dark days of the pandemic winter that loom ahead. Not to mention everything else. So, I am once again going to step up to the Art Every Day Month Challenge. 

The painting on the top of this page is called Still Life with Flowers. Acrylic on canvas. 12 x12. I painted in practice for a project I am planning for the students in my Zoom Art Class. 

The other one is called Inside Out. Watercolor Brush Pens on watercolor paper, 5x7"




No comments:

Post a Comment