Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dd is for Day 30 and Done (at least for now)

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves 
over and let the beautiful stuff out. 
~ Ray Bradbury

This year's challenge is drawing to a close - and I am experiencing a collection of emotions; relief, sadness, exhilaration and satisfaction for the chance to focus on a daily creation. Everyday brought the question of what to do - but it got easier over the days, and less scary to put something out there.

Today, I reviewed the last 29 pieces I have posted, and I am slightly awed by what I have done - by the variety of techniques and styles I used, and by the fact that, even on my busiest days, I followed through on my commitment to do this. If I were an athlete, I would say that I feel that my muscles are stronger and more limber for all this practice.

Of course, so much of the inspiration to keep at this, has come from  the ideas, comments and support I have received from friends, and from other participants. There are so many talented people working out there - doing so many interesting things; I want to try them all. And, I want to thank all of you who visited the blog and shared your thoughts. I have learned SO much - and I have enjoyed every moment of this month.

As I said at the beginning, my goal for this month has been to develop my ability to work abstractly. Today's post - the grand 2011 finale, is an abstract painting, acrylics on canvas, completely from my imagination, though related in theme and style to another, smaller work I created a month ago (see A is for Abstract). It is the largest I have ever attempted - 36"x24" - and it was pure pleasure to paint. I can't wait to start on another.

9 comments:

  1. It's been really fun to watch you develop your abstract voice-- or perhaps more accurately, deepen and extend it. Strong body of work. Amazed at how much you've accomplished. YEA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if I only had an Ipad :-} Thanks for watching Christine - I am so happy with all the growth as well - it always has the feeling of happening outside of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tobi, this piece is gorgeous & completely from your imagination?!? BEEEEAUTIFUL. i love it. Love the colours, composition - I love how one thing flows into the next.
    So glad i found you via AEDM. I'll be back.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fabulous painting! It's been a pleasure to get to know you!
    xo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mastery of colour is an inspiration - just love this piece. It oozes confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a colourful piece and so full of detail, amazing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your abstract is wonderful! I noticed you live in Portland, Oregon. I just moved to Ohio from Portland, Oregon (Beavercreek, Oregon to be exact) last summer. I am from the midwest originally, so it is good to be closer to family, but there are SO many things I miss about Portland - the accessibility of all things artsy for one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your painting!!! The vibrant colors and firm lines are fantastic :0) "You've come unto your Own" something my grandmother used to say if she liked something you had done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just thrilled by all the kind comments- and yes, if only for today, I feel like I have come into my own. Thank you all

    ReplyDelete