Friday, November 5, 2010

Art Every Day: G is for Garden


Day 7
I've mentioned that I love to photograph flowers. I do this where ever I go. Fortunately, in my neighborhood of big yards and burgeoning gardens, I don't have to go far to find something to beautiful.

Though our garden is usually full of vegetables, and our trees hang with fruit (and gorgeous spring blossoms), I often prefer to visit the Master Gardener up the street when seeking inspiration. Monet would have been happy in S's garden.

This drawing is from a photo I took there years ago. I don't know what kind of flower this is, but I love dark flowers, especially, as in this case, when they grow among crowds of white clematis.

I have drawn this flower before, always struggling to get the details out of the lush dark petals. This time I used color pencil on vellum. This seems to me to be a really good combination of paper and media, the vellum does a good job of holding and showing the color and texture I use to apply it.

10 comments:

  1. My first question: there are 30 days in Nov - what comes after z? Sorry - it just piqued my interested after I browsed through your previous posts (LOVe those fat carrots - so true to some I have grown!). This almost looks like a hollyhock but I can't quite make the leaves out. Whatever it is, you've done a lovely rendering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good idear to play with alphabet and flowers, enjoy aedm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy - everyone asks the alphabet question. I will take this one day at a time and worry about what's next later (AA - aphids on apples?) Its just one more creative challenge. I think this may be hollyhocks too - just not sure.

    Thanks all

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly like the composition of this one. I agree with flowers being hard to capture. Complex dimensional shape and color that is really hard to capture.You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also thought it was a hollyhock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful flowers! i don't know my flower names, so i can't help there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I agree that it looks like a hollyhock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee I wonder where you got the idea of using vellum. Hmmmm JJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. An inspiring teacher is hard to find :-)

    ReplyDelete