Sunday, November 27, 2011

Aa is for Abstract and Acrylics

My teacher always reminds the class to look for the "one perfect square inch" in every work. I find this advice to be a great way to look at a piece that is not entirely successful, and yet see what is working.

Today's image is a part of a painting on canvas I have been playing with for weeks - still in progress.

One of the charms of acrylic paints is that they can be painted over, build upon and altered - the layers adding texture and depth. I like this section of the painting which has gone from an awkward seascape to a fractured landscape. I am trying to find the balance of abstraction and readability, and in this part, I can see some of what I am looking for begin to appear.

5 comments:

  1. I love the depth of this. I feel as if I could jump through the painting into another world. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much texture and depth...in a way it reminds me of a map with different areas of fields and differnt crops growing. Very, very interesting.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gwen - you are right on target of my vision for this. Christine, otherworldly depth - I love it! Thank you both

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. I can almost follow breath in it - I can feel shifting, movement and growth.

    I am grateful to have popped in via AEDM2011 to visit you!

    If you would like to see my check in today, look here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, this is super cool! Honestly, when I first saw it, I thought it might be glass. Great depth to this piece, like looking down into several layers.

    ReplyDelete