Wednesday, November 16, 2011

P is for playing, peppers and Photoshop

Today is Art Everyday Month, day 16!

I have had a busy day. I taught 18 kids in my Young Rembrandts class this afternoon and spent the morning prepping. 

There was grocery shopping, dog walking and dinner prep in the mix too. By the time I am getting around to making my everyday art, I am out of ideas, and out of energy.

But, I am determined to do something everyday, so I opened Picasa and started scrolling through my pix seeking inspiration. Last summer I had a huge harvest of wild looking peppers - I took many pictures of them, and even drew some. One of my favorite photos swam into my vision. OK - P is for peppers.

The pepper in the photos are bright bright red and green and shiny  - somehow the colors are not grabbing me tonight - but the wild curvy shapes are interesting. So, I opened the image in Photoshop and just started to play - there is lovely music playing in the background, and frankly, trying filters and effects on photos with Photoshop is my idea of relaxation. I think the results are relaxing too - and so different from the original image. They have gone from garden reality to undersea abstraction with just the clicks of a mouse.

Once again this brings me to the value of this challenge - I am amazing myself with the variety of approaches I have at my fingertips. I feel like I am stretching and building my art muscles each day. Today's image suggests an idea for a painting .... so, who knows what tomorrow will bring.

7 comments:

  1. The colors in this are lovely!
    I too, am wondering where that dinner-making-dog-walking-grocery-shopping-laundry fairy is this month.
    She's LATE.
    xoxo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tobi, I couldn't find a spot to email you, so I'll post my question here.
    I help out in my daughter's special ed class and have hopes to bring art to these kids. It's at a private school, and it's a brand new program and right now there are 4 kids in the class with different disabilities, but very "high functioning", for lack of a better term
    They are high schoolers, and I'm wondering if you have any ideas for art projects. When I helped in the younger years, we did fun things like crayon shaving and ironing between wax paper, snowflakes, some painting with stamps and sponges, blowing paint on the paper, etc... This time around, there are 3 boys and my daughter and they are in their teens, so I'm wracking my brain for some ideas that don't seem too "childish", especially for the boys!!
    I would love to communicate with you for some ideas, as somewhere along the line, I'd love to incorporate classes for older disabled adults.
    Thanks so much, and I'm so happy to have found your blog!
    lynn
    lynnbluesky1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. It almost looks like an underwater scene. By coincidence my post today was also to do with playing with photoshop (among other things). Great minds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely colours, new to photoshop, but love the effects you can get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love the colors in your piece. I am new to photography and know very little about using photoshop but I after seeing your post I know I will have to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful colorful swirly piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments - they are much appreciated - please visit often. Lynn, I emailed a suggestion to you at the address you included - let me know if you got it

    ReplyDelete