Monday, November 11, 2019

K is for Paul Klee


“Drawing is taking a line for a walk” (Paul Klee

These words are a mantra to me as an artist, and especially as a teacher. 

In my work, they encourage the free flow of line, willingness to let the line take the lead, and surprise (or bewilderment) at the unexpected places it takes you. 

Then there's the fun part - using other type of line to complete the design that appears. And any colors I choose. Whether painting or drawing, starting my work by "taking a line for a walk" helps me to get out of my own way.

I've encouraged Klee's approach over and over again in my classes to encourage creativity in students of any age, with any medium and any color palette.

 The results are always not only beautiful, but a surprise and pleasure to the artist who created the work.

Today's face was another nice day for a (line) walk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment