Thursday, November 2, 2017

B is for Blue

If flowers are my current focus, the color blue has been a constant inspiration throughout my work throughout this year.
This summer I taught a workshop for young teens on the Art of Fashion, this time teamed up with another instructor whose focus is natural dyes. She grows indigo and madder in her garden, and uses her plants to teach about dying and printing on fabric. Our collaboration resulted in a fascination with indigo – and the resulting blues it can create.
To prepare to teach my section of the workshop –which includes illustrating clothing designs and creating fabric designs and patterns, I spent time learning about not only indigo but many other blue pigments – and experimenting them in my work.
I’ve always been curious about the sources of pigments used by artists f the past - those who could not just hop to the art store for supplies. What I learned through Google searches and books, was a great enhancement to my understanding, my classes, and my respect for the incredible amount of work needed to create colors for paints and dyes.
Today's painting combines blue and florals - and is part of the series I am developing. The fashion figure is the work of a student who painted a pattern on paper and turned it into the fabric for her dress design. Good work.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful floral art, I love the colour and design.
    You must be so proud of your student's amazing design too.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful shade of blue - my favourite colour :-) I have a book about the history of colour and find it fascinating when I dip into it. Sounds like an intriguing subject to teach...fab work from your student, too.
    Happy Monday!
    Cath x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both wonderful. The flowers are rich and lively. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous flowers. It brings me back to summer. Smile. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful visual. The flowers are amazing. I am one of those who also uses natural dyes to color fabric. Unfortunately, I have no indigo, so that color is not available to me. Your student did a great job designing her dress and drawing it, too. You must be a proud teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your design and color for this flower :) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two wonderful pages, the blue shades of colour look beautiful
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful to be teaching about eco dying, it's so important to encourage our future how colour can be transferred in a less harmful way. The colour blue is so calming, a beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing. Creative wishes Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great teaching exercise ~ creative work and lovely shade of blue ~

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete