Monday, November 8, 2010

Art Every Day: I is for Iris - Goddess of the Rainbow


Day 9
I was introduced to the irresistible beauty of irises by a friend at work many years ago. His entire tiny urban front yard produced a veritable rainbow of exquisite blooms each spring. Every day during the season, he'd bring irises to the office, some for each of the ladies. I was enchanted.

Some blooms huge, some tiny, some fragrant, some flagrantly sensual. I was amazed by the second bloom that appeared after the first wilted. Most of all, it was the colors that attracted me to these flowers. No wonder they are named for the Iris, the Winged Goddess of the Rainbow.

Later, camera in hand, I discovered another aspect of the iris's magnificence - the shapes, the curves, the delicacy. I could go on and on ... but instead of telling you, I will show my version of this goddess flower. This is color pencil on vellum - but I brought the finished image into Photoshop and dropped in the turquoise background (iris in the sky?)

As I worked on this I made another discovery. It took a rainbow of colors to paint this red flower.

7 comments:

  1. Your drawings are really coming alive. The color range gives it another level of pop. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty, you draw such nice flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good project for you. I've noticed an increase in your abilities as you've worked these past nine days. Glad you're using the vellum as I suggested in class. Interesting concept to drop the background and use another color. I like it. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...this is colored pencil...I thought it was a real flower pressed on blue board until I read the blog...exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice but anoyone got any ideas about what would fit with iris origami's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cripes, you are a fast learner if I can go by your previous blog post in which you say, you're not very good painting/drawing flowers. This is amazing.

    I'm glad you commented on my blog and i "found" yours that way. Now, off to read the rest of Tobi's ABC

    ReplyDelete