Friday, November 4, 2011

D is for Dahlia

Last year for D day I painted a detailed, realistic dahlia from my friend's garden. This one is based on a photo from my garden, which I then worked on in Photoshop to begin to understand how to abstract the image.

My teacher keeps reminding me to abstract an image, simplify - so that is what I tried to do - find and simplify the essential shapes.
The colors are all mine ...

I am beginning to find some ways to work with the acrylic palette. Once again, I selected only a few colors and white. I notice that when the colors are blended with one another, the results are harmonious, and the variety of colors that result are incredible.

This painting is on canvas board, 8"x10". The flower is probably close to its real size.

No comments:

Post a Comment