Monday, November 15, 2010

Art Every Day: P is for Poppies


Yesterday was the birthday of Georgia O'Keefe. An image of one of her paintings of giant red poppies was posted with information about her art and her life on Facebook.

I love poppies, but I have always been too intimidated by the intensity of color and the detail to try to paint one. However, I have a file filled with poppy pictures I've taken, and one favorite that I keep on my walls to enjoy every day. So, in honor of one a great artist, I was inspired to give this a try.

I drew with color pencil on vellum, and then brought it into Photoshop and saturated the image so that the colors and the details popped beyond what I saw on the page. I love the results! I hope you do too.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful poppy! You captured both the brilliant color and the delicacy of the blossom. Poppies are one of my favorite flowers. I planted some this past summer and I'm hoping for a good show next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous!! i love how the color pops!

    ReplyDelete