Sunday, November 7, 2010

Art Every Day: H is for How-to

I am sure it comes as no surprise to others participating in this challenge to learn that creating an image everyday, and living the rest of my life, is not that easy. The hardest part, for me, is figuring out what to draw every day.

Add to this the alphabet organization I've given myself, and, in case things are not complex enough, I am also trying to experiment with different combinations of media to create different effects.

And, after working for detail in the last two florals, I feel the need to try something loose and sketchy.

Though I am rarely short of ideas, I am often woefully short of technique. As a teacher/writer, I seek, and frequently write, resources, how-to's (e.g., how to stimulate creativity) and curricula for educators. With this in mind, I did a search on How-to's for artists. Surprise, surprise, I came to a site already listed on THIS blog!

The idea for this drawing of a favorite garden is based on a lesson plan I found on DickBlick.com Resources for Educators. This is a great resource for ideas and How-to's. This is also the place you can go to buy new and replenish dwindling supplies.

The garden is drawn on matte acetate with color pencils (which worked surprisingly well). There is a sheet of metallic paper behind the image that gives it the light. Its rough, but I would certainly try this approach again. I an going back to this site for more ideas to try - for myself and my students.

I am always looking for great instructions and ideas - for myself and to share. Please post your favorite resources here.

5 comments:

  1. the metallic paper behind does add to it - good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to How-tos. I could use a little help in that area myself! I think your drawing looks beautiful. Love all those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure. Another great resource is on the blog at OPB (Check out Oregon Art Beat in the Schools). It has videos, lesson plans and lots of inspiration. I am a writer for that site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great link! and what a gorgeous piece! i love how it came out.

    ReplyDelete