Friday, November 1, 2013

A is for Art Everyday for a Month 2013


Its November again.  This means miserable weather and great holidays, and the start of yet another Art Everyday for a Month challenge.

This will be my fourth year taking part in a challenge that forces me to not only create everyday, but to put my work out there for the world to see and comment about. It is also  a great way to meet other artists, see and be inspired by their art and learn from their ideas and their struggles.

Looking back over the work and words I have posted on this blog over the last three challenges. I can see the progress I have made as an artist, enjoy the variety of materials and subjects that hold my interest or fade away, revisit my thoughts, ideas, struggles and adventures, and I can enjoy the comments made by others.

Looking to the future (or at least the next thirty days), I am excited to share some of the things I have been working on this year.  Some of what I will share will be generated in the process of preparing lessons for the classes I teach. And, there will be some brand new stuff coming out of the Monotype printing class I just began and which I will surely write more about. Printing is a totally new art form for me, and I am excited to be learning something new. After just one class, I can see fabulous applications of new techniques to my paintings and drawings.

So, lots to look forward to, and lots to do. Tonight, I will be attending the opening of the newly renovated Multnomah Arts Center Gallery. (Read all about it here. Please stop by the gallery for the opening celebrations tonight, or anytime - it is beautiful.) I have three paintings in the Instructors' Show, and am looking forward to a great evening, meeting other instructors, seeing their work, and having my picture taken in front of my paintings to share with you :-) 

Also, I will be offering a Fashion Art class for teens in January. I need to polish my sketching skills in preparation for that.

This cat painting is one of series I have been working on for months. The idea of drawing abstract cats started as an idea for students, and has resulted in dozens of great images done by kids and seniors. I have also "made cats" with friends and for friends. This patterned cat, 12 x18 on watercolor paper, is done with caran d'ache water-soluble crayons and water. I think this one is wishing you a slightly belated Happy Halloween

No comments:

Post a Comment