Wednesday, October 27, 2010

EveryDayArt3: For the Birds



When I teach art classes for kids I am often surprised and delighted with their total willingness to try anything I suggest. So, I channeled this childlike openness when assigned this picture of birds on a feeder in class last night. I've never drawn birds before, and I have forgotten how much I used to enjoy working in colored pencils. I often found them to be too slow for my impatient self. I so appreciate my teacher's sense of the right tool for the job - this image would not have worked as well in pastel (though I may try it to be sure).
One of the things I liked best about this drawing was working in the narrow vertical format. It doesn't photograph well, but it was an interesting composition challenge. I can't say I love this drawing, but I really enjoyed trying something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment