Saturday, November 2, 2019

B is for Blocked

Its been a strange year for me in several ways - one of which included a strong case of artist's block. I was unmotivated, lacked the energy or focus to work. My attempts at painting in acrylic all felt like fails. So, on following some good advice, I decided to PLAY, not work at my art.

I love pens - thick, thin, double sided. I have a great collection. So - to keep everything as simple and unpressured as possible, I found a small notebook and my thin colored sharpie box, took myself outdoors into the sunshine and began a series of continuous line faces. This was my only rule - draw a face without lifting my black pen. Then, use color markers in ANY way I liked. I've done many. This is the latest.

The process is relaxing, needs very little equipment, requires no clean-up, can be done anywhere, and has been instrumental in easing me back into other, more complex, projects.

One thing that became immediately apparent is the influence of my fashion art training and the classes I teach, on the faces I am drawing.

8 comments:

  1. She is truly beautiful. Clad you found something to get back to art. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fab..I cannot begin to imagine drawing that in ONE line!! Wow! Excellent stuff and if it works for you, then keep at it...I'd love to try it :-)
    Cath x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also know the blockade of artists and do that with simple things on the sheet without much thought.
    I had a blockade for almost 1 year, but now my imagination is more intense again
    A well-done line picture.
    I wish you a lot of creativity to paint
    grettings Elke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I'm such a sucker for patterns. This is awesome. Congratulations...
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. I love drawing the lines, the dots, the itty bitty bits

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally impressed with this face and how you drew the black. I fear I don't doodle. I'm not a person who can hold a pen or pencil for any length of time. I hate drawing, so that is why I SO appreciate what you made. This is an incredible face and you used some creative colors to fill her in, too.

    ReplyDelete