Friday, November 13, 2020

M is for Magenta

#PostcardsfromthePandemic

Everybody loves purple flowers.

I painted thirty-six "pandemic" postcards this spring and summer. Most were florals, and I shared the pics on social media. Without a doubt the ones that got the most attention are the ones that used my magenta waterbrush pen. Multiple comments - I love purple flowers. But my favorite color to paint is blue. 

Magenta makes these colors harmonize. Magenta is  strong on its own, plays beautifully with yellow, blends with violet and red. Waters down to a very pretty pink. And shimmers next to that blue.

In this picture  (5x7 on watercolor paper) I played with fine sharpie lines in many colors and layered waterbrush pens over the patterning. Working like this, small and detailed feel like embroidery. Very relaxing. 

3 comments:

  1. This is another fabulous painting. I love how you use those bright colors. It certainly cheers me up as all the flowers are gone from here now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that magenta goes SO well with red, orange, and yellow. This is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful painting! I love magenta with yellows.

    ReplyDelete