Friday, November 6, 2020

F is for Failed (Canvases that is)

 #PostcardsfromthePandemic

Its Friday and still no definitive answer to the BIG question on everyone's mind ... but art must go on. 

The students in my ZOOM art class have requested that we work in acrylics. Acrylics are both a challenge and a treat for me . I've used them frequently with varying results. So - to fill this nervous time with something productive, I've been going through the collection of paintings I've done over the years with the goal of finding any work that can be salvaged or improved.

Its been fun and interesting to see old friends, and to gauge my progress. Some of my pieces, though imperfect, are too good to toss.  Some bring back memories, many decorate my walls, but I have a stack of FAILS taking up space in my studio. These are the pieces that just don't work for some reason - many are 80% good, some total bombs - but all are canvases - so, to be thrifty, and also to discover what can happen when I paint over something - I am doing just that.

I found this piece - 12x12 canvas in a pile. I liked the colors but the shapes were all wrong and the perspective. So I redid it and I am happy with the results. It felt like a warm up and opened the door for several more re-Dos. There is something satisfying about looking at something old with new, and maybe wiser eyes, and making a change for the better. We can certainly use more of that.





3 comments:

  1. I really like this. It is somewhat abstract, and your colors are amazing. I guess I don't see what is wrong with the shapes, and maybe you need to look at it slightly differently? Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the redo version. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love recycling and this is the ultimate recycle. This turned out great and is definitely worthy of adorning your walls now.

    ReplyDelete