Tuesday, November 14, 2017

N is for New (and Unexpected)

Caran D'ache Neocolor Watersoluble Crayons (or French crayons as they are known by my kid students) are some of my favorite and most used teaching materials.

They are as easy to use as crayons, vibrant enough to be seen by even some of my vision challenged seniors, and when water is added, create beautiful deep colors that enhance any image..

I have written about them often because they are so versatile and so lovely.

The other day, developing an idea for a project, the only thing at hand
to draw on was a piece of construction paper, and my French crayons. I planned to rough out a butterfly sketch - but when I put the crayon to the rough texture of the school grade paper, magic happened. Depth of color, texture, almost painterly in its richness. No water, just layers of color. Easy, unexpected and a whole new way to use an old favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment