Friday, November 11, 2016

K is for Kitchen

K is an easy letter for me. Some of my favorite artists have K names - Kandinsky, Klee and Kibel.

But K is also the letter for my favorite room. I frequently find inspiration in the kitchen. I love to cook and I love all the lovely objects that are part of cooking and presenting good things to eat.

My teapot series began as a project for my senior students - and just grew from there. I loved the idea of encouraging my "ladies" to create a party on a table. I demonstrated several ways to draw and paint the teapot and let them go on from there. Lots of wine bottles and glasses appeared ;-)

But, I started a teapot in the lesson and brought it home, where I found I could not stop working on it. The teapot and then all the other objects became a palette for designs and patterns, and my favorite cookies. This is done is color pencil - prismacolor - my favorites because they yield such rich color.

This is one of my favorite pieces from the series. The others are getting ready to go into a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment