Monday, November 18, 2013

R is for the Round Red Dot

One of my favorite lessons for young students came from a children's book I found on a random library search in a the school collection.

Apologies to the unknown author, and thanks, because that book proved a very fine inspiration for helping kids observe what is around them.

I no longer have the book, or even know its real title, but this sweet little book encouraged the children in the story to notice objects that were "As red and as round as a round red dot." I recall balls of red wool in a basket, and bright red apples on a tree.

I often send kids out with an assignment to spend a week noticing and listing all the things they observe that are as round and as red as a red dot.

The lists are amazing, because as time passes, eyes sharpen and those round red dots seem to  appear everywhere  - on pepperoni pizza, on Tylenol bottles, on dresses, on stop lights, and YAY, for me, on a painting in a show.

The round red dot means a piece of art has SOLD!!! So, needless to say, I am always looking out for my own. Here is one.

This painting of poppies in a blue jar  (18x24", acrylic on canvas) sold at the Lake Oswego Festival of the Arts. Seeing this round red dot has only made me hungry to see lots more.

No comments:

Post a Comment