Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A is for Abstract

November 1, 2011

I believe that the things we love to do as children are the things that are meant to part of our lives always. They can be an ongoing source of pleasure, relaxation and creative inspiration to enrich our lives.

From the time I could hold a crayon; my idea of fun was to open my box of 48 Crayolas, scribble a line on the cardboard that the laundry put inside my father’s ironed shirts, and color the shapes until a “beautiful design” appeared.  I still love to do this, though now (lucky me)  I have pastels and pens, yummy color pencils, and, lately, something new – acrylic paints to make playing that much more fun. But, no matter the medium, no matter the surface, I still just love to scribble a line on a page and discover what it is meant to be.

Since this summer, when I was inspired by the young artists I teach, I have been consciously trying to create art in the way I did as a child – freely, abstractly and colorfully, without worrying so much about detail and perfection.  Sometimes I start with a plan - a word, an idea, or a color, and sometimes I start with no more than a scribble. But, no matter where I begin, I find that I almost always discover something unexpected, a face, a creature, a theme that emerges as I work. This new (old) process is compelling – it is also a challenge because I definitely do not like everything that results (and now I have to show it to you too!) but I love doing it. 

So, my goal for this Art Every Day month is to create an image every day – sometimes I will paint, sometimes draw, sometimes I will use one of the many cool digital tools I love so much.  I intend to create abstracts, but, who knows, reality may slip in here and there.

Whatever appears, I will write about the experience and share the results (cringe).
Today, (actually Halloween as I prepare this post) I painted the Halloween Forest. I started by sketching overlapping tree shapes on the canvas (18"x24"), under-painted all in a cool green, and painted the interior shapes in the hot colors of the leaves on the trees along my street. BOO!

4 comments:

  1. You are blessed indeed to be in a place where the leaves make such vibrant colors. I love what you've created and to honor your childhood artistry... that's flat out phenomenal.

    I so love the people I meet via Art Every Day Month. Looking forward to getting to know you!

    My Day One Post may be found here, on my typepad blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that painting. It looks like it was a lot of fun to do. Your blog sounds really neat. I have two children and both girls love to do art. I imagine it helps when momma says, "okay, sure honey, you can use my prismacolor pencils." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really sounds good when mommy says, sure honey, lets draw together. Whenever I teach (whether art or writing) the kids ALWAYS have enhancements to my ideas ... can I draw a ... here too. I always - can you? If you can, you may.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur about the childhood joys are meant to be a part of adulthood joys! Love how the lines work to draw my eye in your art!

    ReplyDelete