Thursday, November 11, 2010

Art Every Day: L is for Light

Day 12
Its dark outside. This is true for most of the time in this season. How lucky I am to be able to generate light with my color pencils.

Simply looking at this sunflower warmed me up. Painting the glowing yellows and hot reads against the dark background was not only a chance to explore the structure of the flower, but it was a lesson in painting light.

To do this one, I set it out as an exercise in seeing and drawing only the shapes of the colors I saw. In the process, I blended layer upon layer of colors to build to the combination of light against dark. Its almost bright enough to let me ignore this dreary day.

3 comments:

  1. You are getting beautiful color range. What kind of pencils are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prismacolor (odd how some of better than others even from the same box). Of course some of this is helped by a brief tweak of the contrast before I post the photo. (not too much though). In case it is not completely apparent, I LOVE color. And, I appreciate your comments

    ReplyDelete
  3. anyone got any ideas what would go good with origami irises

    ReplyDelete